Monday, January 12, 2009

Ten Years of Top Tens

Over a decade ago, I emailed a list of my top ten films of the year (yes, they did have email back then) to about a dozen of my closest friends and relatives. It's been a tradition for me ever since.

Each one of these ten films that I chose as the years best is more then just a film to me. They are memories.

I'll always be able to watch them, but I'll never be able to capture that one simple moment when I walked out of the theater for the first time.

I think that's what makes them so special.

1998

Saving Private Ryan
"The real horror of war comes from the silence."

1999

Election
"Made with the same fanatic ambition it so deftly satires."

2000

Unbreakable
"A mysterious turn at every corner, a story that makes us wonder and imagine."

2001

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
"Watching this journey unfold is akin to inviting back your childhood dreams."

2002

Road to Perdition
"What begins as a simple gangster tale soon unravels into a complex saga of a father’s attempt to protect his son from the very life that may end his own. "

2003

All The Real Girls
"A naked look at the true helplessness that comes with true heartbreak."

2004

Garden State
"An unforgettable mix of characters, all fighting the demons of loneliness, guilt and regret "

2005

Munich
"There are no easy answers. Or, for that matter, any answers."

2006

United 93
"When it's all over, you understand. Not why evil prevailed that day, but why it didn't."

2007

Into the Wild
"A story of rebellion, of freedom, of self-discovery, of testing the limits of ones humanity, and, in the end, of finding truth."


2008

COMING SOON.

No comments: